first_imgMILAN (AP) – Chinese shoppers at home and abroad are pushing global sales of luxury items to new heights, helping the sector post its third straight year of strong growth since the global recession.A new study by Bain & Company released Monday forecasts the global luxury goods market for clothing, accessories, jewelry, cosmetics and art will grow 10 percent this year to (EURO)212 billion ($274 billion) from (EURO)192 billion in 2011. That would be the third straight year of double-digit growth following two years of contraction in 2008 and 2009 when many countries around the world slid into a deep recession following a banking crisis. Claudia D’Arpizio, a Bain partner and lead author of the study for Italy’s luxury trade association Fondazione Altagamma, called concerns about market weakness `’overblown.”While the global economic crisis that began in 2008 has shown few signs of abating in pockets, particularly in Europe, the luxury sector overall has been in recovery since 2010, when high-end consumers resumed their easy spending habits.Bain expects spending for the fourth quarter to increase by 7 percent in 2012 over last year, a period boosted by the Christmas gift-giving season.The increase is being shored up by Chinese consumers, who this year became the top luxury buyers responsible for 25 percent of global purchases. By nationality, Europeans contributed 24 percent to global sales, Americans 20 percent and Japanese 14 percent.Tourists are expected to make 40 percent of all luxury purchases this year, with the Chinese leading the way thanks to easier visa policies, Bain said. Chinese tourists are making one-third of purchases in Europe, helping to shield the luxury sector from the ongoing financial crisis. Growth in Europe is projected at 5 percent, half of last year, for total estimated sales of (EURO)75 billion. Comments   Share   Top Stories Arizona families, Arizona farms: working to produce high-quality milk Chinese shoppers aren’t just spending their new-found wealth abroad though.Bain found that the market comprising China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan, is forecast to surpass Japan to become the sector’s second-largest market worth (EURO)27.3 billion, behind the United States with sales of (EURO)65 billion forecast.Bain forecasts annual global growth in the personal luxury goods market of 4 percent to 6 percent through 2015 when it is expected to be worth a quarter of a trillion euros.(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.) Construction begins on Chandler hospital expansion project Sponsored Stories center_img Former Arizona Rep. Don Shooter shows health improvement ErrorOK ErrorOK Arizona families, Arizona farms: providing the local community with responsibly produced dairy Bottoms up! Enjoy a cold one for International Beer Day 5 ways to recognize low testosterone Mary Coyle ice cream to reopen in central Phoenixlast_img

admin | 3216976577@qq.com

Related Posts

first_img“Here he is a year later, nominated for an Oscar and he’s still working hard. I’m not quite as old as Chris Plummer and I still feel I’ve got quite a few years ahead of me doing a different work.” Peter Mansbridge says he’s enjoying the new pace of his life away from the CBC flagship news program “The National,” but he has no plans to give up work. “We’re doing a co-pro together,” Mansbridge said of ZDF. “I can’t really talk too much about it other than to say that it’s going to be significant and it’ll be a production that will be seen hopefully around the world.” And he said he is watching the new instalment of “The National,” hosted by Ian Hanomansing, Adrienne Arsenault, Rosemary Barton, and Andrew Chang. Advertisement Login/Register With: “I’ll be honest, I’m not watching ‘The National’ as much as I used to watch ‘The National,’ because I’m on the road a lot, I do a lot of travelling, I do a lot of speeches,” Mansbridge said. Advertisement Mansbridge stepped down from his role as anchor and chief correspondent last July after nearly three decades with the program. Advertisement It’s a challenging time for journalism with many things changing, he added, noting consumers relate to their news differently these days and consume less of it through television.center_img That work includes freelancing on documentary projects for the CBC and something with the German public broadcaster ZDF. “But I do see it a couple of times a week anyway, at least.” “Everybody is trying to adapt and ‘The National’ is no different,” Mansbridge said. “So it’s a much different kind of show when I was there a year ago and it’ll be different a year from now, because they’re trying to adapt to a changing landscape, just like everybody is, just like print is.”By: Victoria Ahearn | The Canadian Press He admitted that he doesn’t miss the daily routine as much as he thought he would. After accepting the Canadian Screen Award for lifetime achievement on Sunday, the former anchor said he’s got some projects in the works and pointed to the ongoing success of Canadian actor Christopher Plummer, who recently earned his second Oscar nomination for “All the Money in the World.” LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment “I know I’ve always looked at lifetime achievement awards as, ‘OK, that’s it, he’s done, we’re not going to see them around again,’ right? Well, Plummer is a perfect example of, ‘Don’t make that judgment,’” Mansbridge said backstage. Facebook Twitterlast_img

Rabat – Following the tragic shooting in Las Vegas that left at least 59 people and over 500 others injured, King Mohammed VI has sent a message to the United States President Donald Trump, expressing “deep condolences and sincere feeling of sympathy.”In a message to Trump, the king said that in his name and in the name of the Moroccan people, he “strongly condemns this criminal act,” while expressing to the American president, the families of the victims and to the whole American nation his deep condolences and sincere feelings of compassion.The king also wished the families of the victims patience and comfort, and a quick recovery to the wounded. The attack occurred at an open-air country music festival on the Las Vegas Strip. The shooter, identified as Stephen Paddock, fired upon the audience from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel.A SWAT team stopped the attack by breaking into Paddock’s hotel room and fatally shooting the 64-year-old man, who lived in a retirement community in Mesquite, Nevada.The authorities have not yet determined his motives, as he had no significant criminal history, reported CNN.Paddock’s brother told the news network that he had “no history of violence. No history of anything, couldn’t give a s–t less about politics, religion, pointy hatted people etc., etc. He just wanted to get a freaking royal flush.”Los Angeles police found 23 guns in his hotel room,as well as firearms and explosives at his home. No links to international terrorism have been announced.Speaking at the White House, President Trump has described the gunman as “a sick man, a demented man.” The American president indicated that he would look at gun laws “as time goes by.”

9 May 2011The United Nations agency tasked with promoting press freedom today voiced its condemnation of the murder of an outspoken Peruvian radio news presenter who had criticized local authorities in the north of the Andean country. Julio Castillo Narváez, the host of a news programme on Ollantay Radio in the city of Virú, was shot dead last Tuesday – which was also World Press Freedom Day – by unknown assailants.Irina Bokova, the Director-General of the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), issued a statement deploring the killing and urging authorities to investigate the crime and bring the culprits to justice.“This crime is an attack on the basic human right of journalists and citizens to speak their mind and hold free debates about issues that concern them,” Ms. Bokova said.“The tragedy of this killing is made all the more poignant for occurring on a day dedicated to the celebration of press freedom.”Mr. Castillo was renowned for his criticism of local authorities and had received repeated death threats before he was slain, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *